Panayiotis D. Tsanakas
Professor of Computer Engineering
National Technical University of Athens
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
f: +30 2107722541, m: +30 6932621668
- Dipl. in Electrical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 1982.
- MSc in Computer Engineering, Ohio University, 1985.
- PhD in Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 1988.
II. ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
He is currently serving at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens as Professor of Computer Engineering, specializing in the fields of high performance computer architectures, cloud-computing systems, Internet-of-Things (IoT) and AI-based applications in medicine and biology.
Has published more than 100 research papers in established scientific journals and conferences, on innovative algorithms and systems, mainly in the areas of parallel/distributed computing systems and medical informatics.
Has supervised seven doctoral dissertations and more than 50 diploma theses.
He co-authored seven textbooks on computer systems (operating systems and computer systems architecture), all of which have been adopted by several higher-education institutions.
Has co-organized several scientific and technological conferences and taught six different undergraduate and graduate courses on computer systems and network programming, at the NTUA, the University of Piraeus, and the George Washington University.
ΙΙ. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
2018-2020: Board member of the EuroHPC Joint Undertaking, managing the development of a pan-European supercomputing infrastructure, and supporting relevant research and innovation activities.
2004-2019: Served as Chairman of GRNET, the national research and education network (NREN), offering advanced networking and cloud services to the universities and research centers of Greece, in cooperation with the EC and the pan-European federation of GEANT, along with cloud computing (Okeanos – ViMA) and supercomputing (ARIS) services.
Moreover, he has actively organized and supervised the design, deployment and operation of several innovative services for the entire academic community, and more specifically:
- The national research and education infrastructure (network and datacenters) covering more than 100 institutions with advanced network, cloud, storage, and supercomputing services (https://grnet.gr/en/services/, https://hpc.grnet.gr/en/)
- The high-speed interconnection of more than 30 public hospitals, along with the deployment of the associated HARMONI infrastructure i.e., the national real-time repository of the evolving medical imaging data (more than 3,5 M exams)
- The Eudoxus information system, for the planning and delivery of the textbooks of all the greek universities to more 200.000 students annually (http://eudoxus.gr/)
- The ZEUS system, for the complete execution of eVoting services, with advanced security, privacy and integrity characteristics (https://zeus.grnet.gr)
- The DIAVLOS service, for live and on-demand webcasting of events from several nation-wide public interest venues. (https://diavlos.grnet.en/)
- The ePresence service, supporting the secure e-participation in the faculty election boards of all the Greek universities (http://www.epresence.gr/)
- The AcademicID service, for handling the user applications, the production and the delivery of the Academic IDs of all the students and faculty members of the Greek Universities. (http://academicid.minedu.gov.gr/)
The above projects led to the significant improvement of the quality of service of the academic institutions, and to the annual savings of more than €60M**.**
During 2005-2009, he has also served as a member of EETT (The Hellenic Electronic Communications and Posts Regulator), supervising the application of deregulation of the broadband services market, leading to significant market competition, infrastructure investments, and consumer prices reduction.
1988: Has been with the George Washington University and Ohio University, as a visiting scholar, contributing to projects in advanced computer architectures.
III. RTD PROJECTS
Has taken part as senior researcher in the following national and EU-sponsored projects:
- PolicyCLOUD: Policy Management through technologies across the complete data lifecycle on cloud environments, H2020 Grant 870675 (PI)
- CrowdHEALTH: Collective wisdom driving public health policies, H2020 Grant 727560.
- GÉANT Project GN4-2: Accelerating research, driving innovation and enriching education, H2020 Grant 731122
- PRIVILEDGE: Privacy Enhancing Cryptography In distributed Ledgers, H2020 Grant 780477.
- GRID4ALL: Development of a grid infrastructure and middleware for the collaboration of dynamic, small virtual organizations such as communities, schools and families, H2020 Grant 034567.
- EOSC: The European Open Science Cloud for Research Pilot Project, H2020 Grant 739563.
- PANORAMIX: Privacy and Accountability in Networks via Optimized Randomized Mix-nets, H2020 Grant 807638.
- SMART-PIV: "Development of an Interactive Integrated P.I.V System based on Miniaturised Optical Sensor Technology for Implantable Biomedical Devices Design." Grant agreement IST-2001-37548
- TOPCARE: "Implementation of a telematic homecare platform in cooperative health care provider networks." Grant agreement IST-2000-25068
Selective list of recent scientific publications:
- I. Maglogiannis, A. Zlatintsi, A. Menychtas, D. Papadimatos, P. Filntisis, N. Efthymiou, G. Retsinas, P. Tsanakas, and P. Maragos, “An intelligent cloud-based platform for effective monitoring of patients with psychotic disorders,” 16th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications AIAI 2020.
- C Andrikos, G Rassias, P Tsanakas, I Maglogiannis, “An Enhanced Device-Transparent Real-Time Teleconsultation Environment for Radiologists,” IEEE journal of biomedical and health informatics 23 (1), 374-386, 2019.
- A Menychtas, M Galliakis, P Tsanakas, I Maglogiannis, “Real-time integration of emotion analysis into homecare platforms,” 41st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2019.
- F. Malli, O. Kotsiou, P. Tsanakas, I. Maglogiannis, K. Antoniou, D. Papakosta, E. Vasarmidi, C. N. Efthymiou, K. I. Gourgoulianis, Z. Daniil, “A Telemonitoring Homecare Platform for patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis,” European Respiratory Journal, Vol 54, 2019.
- C. Panagopoulos, A. Menychtas, P. Tsanakas, I. Maglogiannis, “Increasing Usability of Homecare Applications for Older Adults: A Case Study,” Designs 2019, 3, 23.
- L. Giannopoulos, E. Degkleri, P. Tsanakas, D. Mitropoulos, “Pythia: Identifying Dangerous Data-flows in Django-based Applications,” EuroSec@ EuroSys Conference, 2019.
- D Chousiadas, A Menychtas, P Tsanakas, I Maglogiannis, “Advancing Quantified-Self Applications Utilizing Visual Data Analytics and the Internet of Things,” IFIP International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications and Innovations, 2018.
- SP Korres, A Menychtas, P Tsanakas, I Maglogiannis, “A low-cost IoT-based health monitoring platform enriched with social networking facilities,” IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, 2018.
- TM Giannaros, V Kotroni, K Lagouvardos, D Dellis, P Tsanakas et al., “Ultrahigh resolution wind forecasting for the sailing events at the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Summer Olympic Games,” Meteorological Applications 25 (1), 86-93, 2018.
- A Menychtas, D Papadimatos, P Tsanakas, I Maglogiannis, “On the integration of wearable sensors in IoT enabled mHealth and quantified-self applications,” Interactive Mobile Communication, Technologies and Learning, 77-88, 2017.
Georgios Rassias, Christos Andrikos, Panayiotis Tsanakas, Ilias Maglogiannis:
Versatile Cloud Collaboration Services for Device-Transparent Medical Imaging Teleconsultations. CBMS 2017: 306-311
Ilias Maglogiannis, Charalampos Ioannou, Panayiotis Tsanakas:
Fall detection and activity identification using wearable and hand-held devices. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering 23(2): 161-172 (2016)
- Christos Filippidis, Panayiotis Tsanakas, Yiannis Cotronis: IKAROS: A scalable I/O framework for high-performance computing systems. Journal of Systems and Software 118: 277-287 (2016)
Georgios Georgakilas, Ioannis S. Vlachos, Konstantinos Zagganas, Thanasis Vergoulis, Maria D. Paraskevopoulou, Ilias Kanellos, Panayiotis Tsanakas, Dimitris Dellis, Athanasios Fevgas, Theodore Dalamagas, Artemis G. Hatzigeorgiou:
DIANA-miRGen v3.0: accurate characterization of microRNA promoters and their regulators. Nucleic Acids Research 44(Database-Issue): 190-195 (2016)
Maria D. Paraskevopoulou, Ioannis S. Vlachos, Dimitra Karagkouni, Georgios Georgakilas, Ilias Kanellos, Thanasis Vergoulis, Konstantinos Zagganas, Panayiotis Tsanakas, Evangelos Floros, Theodore Dalamagas, Artemis G. Hatzigeorgiou:
DIANA-LncBase v2: indexing microRNA targets on non-coding transcripts. Nucleic Acids Research 44(Database-Issue): 231-238 (2016)
Christos Andrikos, Georgios Rassias, Panayiotis Tsanakas, Ilias Maglogiannis:
Real-time medical collaboration services over the web. EMBC 2015: 1393-1396
- Christos Panagopoulos, Eirini Kalatha, Panayiotis Tsanakas, Ilias Maglogiannis, “Evaluation of a Mobile Home Care Platform: Lessons Learned and Practical Guidelines,” in Ambient Intelligence, Volume 9425 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science pp 328-343, Oct. 2015.
- Christos Andrikos, Ilias Maglogiannis, Efthymios Bilalis, Panayiotis Tsanakas, “An Intelligent Platform for Hosting Medical Collaborative Services”, SETN-2014.
- Georgios Tsoukalas, Kostas Papadimitriou, Panos Louridas, Panayiotis Tsanakas, “From Helios to Zeus”, USENIX Journal of Election Technology and Systems (JETS), Vol.1, No1, Aug. 2013.
- Panos Louridas, Georgios Tsoukalas, Kostas Papadimitriou, Panayiotis Tsanakas, “Zeus: Bringing Internet Voting to Greece”, 5th Int. Conf on e-Democracy Security, Privacy and Trust in a Digital World, Athens, Dec. 2013.
- C. Doukas, I. Maglogiannis, P. Tsanakas, F. Malamateniou, G. Vassilacopoulos, “mPharmacy: A System Enabling Prescription and Personal Assistive Medication Management on Mobile Devices”, Proc. of the Int. IEEE ICST Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare - MobiHealth 2010
- Athanasia Asiki, Katerina Doka, Ioannis Konstantinou, Antonis Zissimos, Dimitrios Tsoumakos, Nectarios Koziris, Panayotis Tsanakas,“A grid middleware for data management exploiting peer-to-peer techniques”, Future Generation Computer Systems - FGCS 2009
- Maragkakis M, Reczko M, Simossis VA, Alexiou P, Papadopoulos GL, Dalamagas T, Giannopoulos G, Goumas G, Koukis E, Kourtis K, Vergoulis T, Koziris N, Sellis T, Tsanakas P, Hatzigeorgiou AG. “DIANA-microT web server: elucidating microRNA functions through target prediction”, Nucleic Acids Res.2009 Jul 1;37(Web Server issue):W273-6. Epub 2009 Apr 30.
- Maragkakis M, Alexiou P, Papadopoulos GL, Reczko M, Dalamagas T, Giannopoulos G, Goumas G, Koukis E, Kourtis K, Simossis VA, Sethupathy P, Vergoulis T, Koziris N, Sellis T, Tsanakas P, Hatzigeorgiou AG., “Accurate microRNA target prediction correlates with protein repression levels”, BMC Bioinformatics. 2009 Sep 18;10:295.
- Manouselis N., Riviou K., Palavitsinis N., Giannikopoulou V., Tsanakas P., "Goneis.gr: Training greek parents on ICT and safer internet", Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 49, 97-106, 2009.
- Kotsokalis C., Ferrari T., Louridas P., Ronchieri E., Tsanakas P., "Grid-enabled instrument representation and reservation", Proceedings - 4th IEEE International Conference on eScience, eScience 2008, 16-22, 2008.
- McGough A.S., Akram A., Guo L., Krznaric M., Dickens L., Colling D.J., Martyniak J., Powell R., Kyberd P., Huang C., Kotsokalis C., Tsanakas P., "GRIDCC: A real-time grid workflow system with QoS", Scientific Programming, vol. 15, no. 4, 213-234, 2007.
- Souliou D., Pagourtzis A., Drosinos N., Tsanakas P., "Computing frequent itemsets in parallel using partial support trees", Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 79, no. 12, 1735-1743, 2006.
- Athanasaki M., Sotiropoulos A., Tsoukalas G., Koziris Nectarios, Tsanakas P., "Hyperplane grouping and pipelined schedules: How to execute tiled loops fast on clusters of SMPs", Journal of Supercomputing, vol. 33, no. 3, 197-226, 2005.
- F. Malamateniou, P. Tsanakas, G. Vassilacopoulos, “A workflow-based approach to virtual patient record security,” IEEE Trans. on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol.2, no 3, pp. 139-145, Sept. 1998.
- A.Koulouris , G. Papakonstantinou , P. Tsanakas , A decentralized multichannel length transformation algorithm and its parallel implementation for real-time ECG monitoring , Computers and Biomedical Research, vol. 33,pp. 227-244, 2000
- P. Tsanakas, N. Koziris, G. Papakonstantinou, “Chain Grouping: A Method for Partitioning Loops onto Mesh-Connected Processor arrays,” IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Computing, vol.11, No 9, 1999.
- Ν. Koziris, G. Papakonstantinou, P. Tsanakas, “Optimal time and efficient space free scheduling for nested loops,” The Computer Journal, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 439-448, 1996.
- T. Andronikos, N. Koziris, Z. Tsiatsoulis, G. Papakonstantinou and P. Tsanakas, “Lower time and processor bounds for efficient mapping of uniform dependence algorithms into systolic arrays,“ Journal of Parallel Algorithms and Applications, vol. 10, no. 3-4, pp. 177-194, 1997.
- N Katevas, N. M. Sgouros, S. Tzafestas, G. Papakonstantinou, P. Beattie, J. M. Bishop, P. Tsanakas and D. Koutsouris, “SENARIO: A sensor-aided intelligent navigation system for powered wheelchairs,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, vol. 4, no.4,pp 60-70, Dec. 1997.
- N. Vlassis, G. Papakonstantinou, P. Tsanakas, “Mixture density estimation based on maximum likelihood and sequential test statistics,” Neural Processing Letters, vol. 9, no 1, Febr. 1999.
Computers in Medicine • Supercomputing Applications • Parallel Processing • Distributed Processing • Computer Architecture • ASICs and Portable Electronics • Embedded Controllers • Multimedia Systems, Technology & Applications • System Design and Implementation